Thursday, August 13, 2009

social ineqaulity

Racial segregation has not been the only issue people have come across in Durban; a tendency of people dividing themselves according to culture has become dominant. Zulu people in particular have at some stage made me feel inferior because I speak a different language. To them there is no other black local language that can be compared to Zulu therefore making all other languages inferior to them, but not everyone has that mindset.
Well every place has its own positive and negative aspects. Experiences such as being made to feel inferior because of the language you speak .The majority are quit friendly people like they say “it takes a good person to know a good person. Not so long ago I made friends with a person I attend a lecture with who is very aggressive friendless (doesn’t believe in having friends) as he has always said in his arguments.

Another experience I had was when I went for a shopping in town (Durban) from residence to by certain things. I went passing through a bunch of street traders all selling the same thing fruits apples, oranges, pears etc. they were pointing fingers at of the vendor accusing him of talking all the customers saying “ usebenzisa umutsi lo” meaning he’s using traditional medicine to take the customers. What was fascinating is that they had most of their fruits spoiled (partly rotten) and they were not clean. Because he was originally from another country they were forcing him to cease selling or to find an alternative site calling him a “likwerekwere” meaning foreigner.

My point is that social inequality exist within Durban with the previous experience I had, it’s a fact. With these I can say it’s a reflection of South Africa as whole. It was no first time I had of such issues recently early this year there were reports about xenophobia near Johannesburg in a township called Alexandra- were people were attracted because they were foreigners (accused of stilling jobs for South Africans).

No comments:

Post a Comment